January 21, 2012

Random Act of Kindness - Week 3

During college, I pretended to be a waitress at a restaurant in my home town.  I say pretend because I kind of sucked at it.  I am not the most graceful, by any means, which more than once left the poor patron drenched in a tray full of drinks.  Luckily for me, my best friend's parents owned the restaurant so I was never fired.

While the experience told me that food service was not my calling in life, it did make me realize how stressful and under appreciated of a job it is.  Do you know how hard it is to keep your temper in check when a table of 6 leaves a $2 tip after making you run around for 2 hours?

So, last night the Hubby took me out to dinner, and our server worked her ass off to keep my sweet tea filled, and rolls on the table.  Trust me, seven months prego and I'm not shy with what I want.  I was talking to the Hubby about how I had kind of cheated on my week 2 Random Act of Kindness, when I got an idea.  I had been carrying around with me a gift certificate for a pedicure at my favorite spa.  (I had gotten for a work gift exchange, but some how ended up walking out of the party with it myself.  Mad skills.)  Well, with our tip, I left the gift certificate for our server.  I assumed since she was on her feet all day dealing with needy people, she could use a nice pedicure.  Hopefully it made her night since I didn't get to see her reaction.

As I lay here in my recliner looking at my poor swollen feet, I know that I would appreciate a pedicure right about now, but this is the first week were I really feel like I hopefully made a difference in some one's day.  Maybe this kindness stuff will work out after all.


1 comment:

  1. I love this Jess! I have also been trying to incorporate random acts of kindness into my everyday life. It is a lot easier than you think it is to make someone's day just a little better! I am so proud and so inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete